Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Photovoltaic systems design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mauriciocol

Electrical
Aug 5, 2003
US
Hi all

The company that I work for is in the process to be involved in the design of small photovoltaic systems for schools and/or government buildings to support or backup communication rooms, but I have no expertise at all with the photovoltaic system design.

I want to know if any of you could provide me some information about the design of these systems northern New Jersey so I can begin in the right way. Are there some books or some literature that you know about? It will be helpful.

Any info on this matter will be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

NEC Article 690 Solar Photovoltaic Systems may apply. UL Standard 1741 Inverters, Converters, and Controllers for Use in Independent Power Systems and IEEE Standard 929 Utility Interface of Residential and Intermediate Photovoltaic Systems are applicable to PV systems with inverters.

Designing of solar power system is not easy, although it may seems to. Specially if you are joggling between cost and reliability. I would suggest you to use PV sizing software. I use Nsol PV sizing software to size solar systems which you can get on orion energy site There are other good ones also available.
I would also suggest you to get data for the nearest location of the solar installation eg Isolation, Isolation clearness index Equivalent number of No Sun days, Air temperature etc. You can get this from this site

Hope this helps.

Related question: Wind generators have a capacity factor of 25-30%, depending on the wind characteristics of the location. What is the expected capacity factor of PV systems?

It varies from the location of the installation. About 10% to 30%. Average of 20% in US which varies from 15% in North America to 25% in the South.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back