Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PI of Soil Structural Note

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinChez

Structural
Oct 6, 2013
US
Hi, I came across a note on a set of drawings I was reviewing in Austin TX:

"For PI of less than 15 or on solid rock, notify engineer of record"

The plans note the design PI as 32.

This is for a residential addition.

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What effect does a low Plasticity Index have on a foundation?

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

I would think that a low plasticity index or bedrock would provide a higher bearing capacity so the footings could potentially be smaller or not as deep?

Wouldn't the bearing and depth be determined by other means?

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Kevin,

You are probably correct. If the footings are designed for a presumptive PI of 32, and the actual site conditions are much better, there may be savings achievable by redesign.

I'll second the last few responses.

It sounds like it's likely a PT slab due to expansive soil and the PT slab was designed for a PI of 32. If PI is less than 15, it's not considered expansive per the IBC. It sounds like the designer is telling the construction side to reach out to them if the PI is less than 15 or on solid rock as it's then not considered expansive and the PT slab is overdesigned; therefore, the slab can be redesigned and will likely be thinner, less reinforcement, cheaper, etc. Good on the designer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back