Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Picking a motor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kim50usc

Mechanical
Feb 9, 2016
US
I am trying to create a mechanism that uses a rack and pinion mechanism that pushes an object upwards sort of like this one here.

I plan on making it with a stepper motor instead of a servo and with some off-the-shelf gear racks. We need a motor with sufficient speed (the mechanism needs to move 3-4" a second) and power (needs to lift 10-12 lbs)

I guess I have more than one question, but in regards to the motor, which would you recommend?
I've been looking into the NEMA 23's because they seem to have sufficient torque. Please let me know if you have any other recommendations!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello kim50

I am thinking you might want to produce your entire assembly first and then measure how much torque it requires and go from there. A lot
comes in to play lifting X amount of lbs with for example one gear or four gears, leverage can also be a factor. I am interested in the comments
from other members such as the proper steps for something like this.

Chuck

Stepper motors must be significantly over-sized in applications like this. "Sufficient" torque may not account for real world effects such as occasional binding due to dirt, imperfect assembly, etc...

If the motor isn't over-sized, it can start missing steps, and accuracy will suffer. A good starting point is to use a motor with twice the torque needed to move the load.

SceneryDriver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back