Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pickling and flushing of diesel pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

magmath76

Mechanical
Apr 27, 2011
AU
Hi All,

I am doing pickling and flushing of fuel line to gensets (diesel and heavy fuel oil). Attached are the photographs taken after each stage. The pipes were clean and free from rust after pickling. Flusing is done with diesel and I am getting a brownie sludge type thing in the pipe after flushing. Is this normal and acceptable. Any feed back or comment would me much appreciated.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My then company rented a freezer trailer for use by employees' families affected by Hurricane Andrew. I occasionally got to refill the trailer's fuel tank, pouring Diesel from a 5 gallon plastic carboy. The Diesel was purchased at retail locally, nothing special about it. I assume it's representative of what is sold nationally here.

The carboy made it possible to inspect the contents.
I estimate it was about 5 percent water, and 5 percent dirt.

Whoever specified flushing with Diesel got what they asked for; now there'll be none of that clean steel attracting the sludge and feeding the engine with fuel that's too clean. Think of it as preconditioning.

Seriously, I'm aghast at what passes for 'normal' Diesel fuel, but on balance it supports a robust Diesel filter industry.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Thanks Mike you are absolutely right. We have improved the results by addition around 10% of engine oil on the diesel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back