Picklying stainless steel tanks 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahmed Habashy

Petroleum
Feb 27, 2024
EG
Hi we are constructing new ss tanks acc to api650
Our specs specifying picklying and passivation of tank without specifying the area we want to pickle around welds where the client demands the full tank which will lead to significant cost
Is there a code or reference specfiying the pickled area

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Usually, the extent of requirements for segregation, storage, handling, and surface treatments/ surface finish would be established in the contract documents and specifications, and would vary depending on the application, the options available, and the cost. There is some wording in API-650, but not anything that would override what was in the contract documents.

If I had a dollar for every customer who has a spec requiring "pickle and passivate all stainless material", but who didn't understand it ...

Best advice I have is to pursue industry standard practice and get in the habit of reading customer specs *before* taking the PO. Because customer specs are rarely tight and well-considered.

I believe pickling is only required in the heat affected zone of welds. If you want code references please specify what country you're from.

Ooo eee ooo ah ah ting tang walla walla bing bang
Ooo eee ooo ah ah ting tang walla walla bing bang

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back