Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PID load increases over time

Status
Not open for further replies.

MostEE

Electrical
Sep 29, 2011
US
Great forum! I have a process I need to controls that "drifts" over time and I am not sure if a PID control will be able to compensate. By drift, I meant that the amount of energy, required to maintain the setpoint varies over time i.e. like maintaining the level in a tank with a small leak, where the leak gets bigger over time? Let me explain further: I basically need to maintain voltage (yes, not voltage, it is not being translated to engineering units) and hold that desired setpoint by applying a control value (another voltage). However, the voltage required to maintain the first voltage increases over time. From my understanding, the P part of the PID controller should increase the the control voltage to the correct value but what about the fact that the ratio, or proportion, between the process value and the control value increasing over time? I am not even sure if it isc correct to says that the load increases over time? Thanks in advance for any tips or advice!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

So long as the setpoint is valid, a PID should close the loop on the error signal.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back