Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pieces of Advice for a recent graduate 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seda6334

Chemical
Nov 14, 2018
DE
As a recent graduate (Chemical and Process engineering), I intend to work professionally in the water treatment area, especially membrane treatment. What would you as professionals suggest I learn to improve my knowledge and hands-on skills and become competent in this field? (software, skills, ...)

Thanks a million,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Find out firms that are into such projects that are in the design and construction phase. Seek them out for a job. Get practical experience first

Thanks for the great tips!
I agree, but with this pandemic around, whatever job application that I submit, is getting back to me without being evaluated! "Hiring freeze". So i thought i would work on myself. Otherwise, i am looking forward to starting my job in this field.
What about any special software?

Here is one practical suggestion: find out who makes the equipment that you might be dealing with and scour their websites for information about the equipment. You will want to get familiar with things like the physical sizes of different pieces of equipment, materials of construction, treatment technologies, treatment capacity ranges, treatment performance, piping connections, power requirements, and a host of other things. The goal here is to get familiar, not to gain mastery. You will only gain mastery through years of on-the-job training. Another thing, many manufacturers provide engineering documents on their websites that are worth reading. For this genre, it might range from general hydraulics and general treatment principles to detailed design guides for using their equipment. You should also check the websites of the regulatory agencies that affect this type of work (e.g. EPA, your state's Health Department or similar) and see what documents they have that are relevant.

When I first came out of college, one of my project managers gave me a piece of outstanding advice: he suggested that every day during my lunch break I grab a manufacturer's catalog off the shelf and flip through it. That was the 1980s version of the advice I am giving you. He also suggested that I look up all ASTM, AWWA, etc. standards that these catalogs referenced. I even made copies of engineering guides that I found in these catalogs for my personal library. I still have many of these, although some I have chucked in recent years because I later found PDFs of the same thing. My personal //edit//electronic//edit// library of engineering goodness, collected over the past 20+ years is now over 15 GB. It's only partially organized and some documents I may never need, but if it looks interesting, I download a copy.

============
"Is it the only lesson of history that mankind is unteachable?"
--Winston S. Churchill

Water treatment is all about the variability of the water going into the process. A municipal water treatment system drawing water from wells has pretty much the same water quality all year long, same as chemical manufacturers the process water is constant when the process is working the way its supposed to. On the other hand the sewage treatment plant has a wide variability in the water requiring treatment.

Seda6334 said:
I intend to work professionally in the water treatment area, especially membrane treatment

If you want exciting work with low job security join the membrane suppliers engineer team, if you want some excitement with a lot of stability and bureaucracy join a municipality to work on sewage treatment, if you want dull and moderate job security look for a private industry water treatment job. A masters will not help in those industries, it would help if you wanted to join a consulting firm which actually has a water treatment design team capable of designing new systems or processes for industrial and municipal clients.

Learn all you can about pumps. I find it amazing the number of supposedly qualified engineers on this forum who demonstrate an unfamiliarity with pumping.

miningman....

But what about all the other types of shoes? [smile]

Fred

============
"Is it the only lesson of history that mankind is unteachable?"
--Winston S. Churchill

"....If you want exciting work with low job security join the membrane suppliers engineer team, if you want some excitement with a lot of stability and bureaucracy join a municipality to work on sewage treatment, if you want dull and moderate job security look for a private industry water treatment job. A masters will not help in those industries, it would help if you wanted to join a consulting firm which actually has a water treatment design team capable of designing new systems or processes for industrial and municipal clients...."

Sounds like he should freeze up and do nothing...LOL. The most important thing is to, if he can, get practical experience out in the field. Then go into the office. You will be a better engineer. Trust me on that.

Once you go into the office learn as much as you can. Most importantly learn about people skills, managing and budgeting...learn the big picture. Remember you are not tied to your job for the rest of your life. You can always move on to greener pastures. The best thing to do is to get your foot in the door to get your first job. It is always the hardest to get your first job. I would not be worried about security at this stage of your career. My professor advised that 50% of the graduates will change jobs twice within their first two years out of school. It was true. Life is not a free ride after you graduate. It still is a continuous struggle

Joining a manufacturer is actually not a bad idea. You learn everything about the equipment, trouble shoot it, talk with your team, talk with design engineering companies and talk to contractors. You get to know names and network. They get to know you. How much you learn and how far you go is dependent on your desire.

I am so thankful to all. So much wisdom and so many great suggestions!I will do my best to apply them. :) I am so glad that I asked my question here.

All the best,
Stay well and safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back