Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pig Launcher & receiver Design Code for 4" Pipeline 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIANCH

Chemical
Aug 8, 2002
LY
Hi,
Can anyone from your experience guide me for 4" dia (22 km long) pipeline for hydrocarbon condensate whether pig launcher & receiver is mandatory or not. API 31.3 and other codes explain only components requirement but no specific guidelines for minimum pipe size.
Please explain.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

B31 3 is a piping code.

You need a pipeline code like b31.4 (liquid) or b31.8 (gas) or other pipeline code depending on where you are.

A pig trap is not mandatory in any code I know of but is usually a very good idea.

At the least make the pipeline piggable by using min 3D bends, barred tees, that sort of thing and then end with a flange to which you can attach a pig trap if you need to for commissioning or inspection.

You often see this on flowlines when you don't need permanent pig traps.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Then pig launcher and receivers are selected based on pig requirement. if service is clean then no need to include pig in pipeline.

Correct. If you only need to pig during testing and commissioning and then inspection once every 5-10 years, I wouldn't add a permanent trap, but I would make it piggable and leave an end flange so you can add one later on.

The smallest pig trap I ever saw was a 3" one and it looked really dinky...

You could also consider a pigging valve? Look them up but I've seen these used on flowlines before.

But if this is clean, water free condensate then I would agree - don't bother.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back