Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Pig launcher and receiver valve selection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

antoil

Petroleum
Dec 21, 2003
GR
Hello everybody!!

What kind of valve should be used as a mainline trap valve
at a pig launcher and receiver(6"x8")?
Is a ,full bore, ball valve better to use,than a gate valve for pig traps?

Any help would be appreciated!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, a full-bore ball valve is considerably better than a gate valve for the barrel isolation valve on a launcher or receiver. These valves are operated frequently (hopefully) and the 80 or so turns required to operate an 8-inch gate valve will not make you popular with the operations guys.

Further, I always specify trunnion ball valves for the barrel-isolation valves (over floating ball valves) because they give you two seating surfaces between the line pressure and the trap - it can be a real pain if the barrel-isolation valve leaks through while you are trying to launch a pig.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

The Plural of "anecdote" is not "data"

Thanks a lot!!

Would you suggest this valve to be pneumatic, gear&pneumatic or just gear operated??

Thanks again for your time!

I've used actuated and gear-operated both and below 16-inch I find the actuators to be a pain (leaks, freezes, difficulty dealing with low pressures if you pull the system pressure down, etc.).

The sequence I require for launching valves is (starting with the trap isolated and blown down, see my web page under "Samples" "Rules of Thumb for Gathering Equipment" for a description of what I think should go into a launcher design):
1. Load pig
2. Open kicker
3. Open barrel-isolation valve
4. Shut side valve
5. Re-open side valve after pig has left
6. Shut barrel-isolation valve
7. Shut kicker and blow barrel down.

With that sequence you never have any dP across the big valves so I think an actuator is a waste of money and an addition of unnecessary complexity.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

The Plural of "anecdote" is not "data"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back