Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pig Trap mobile Vs fixed design 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eng Process

Petroleum
Feb 5, 2020
DZ
Hello,

I want to know when we need mobile or fixed pig trap and how about the minimum diameter for designing them?
Please share with me standards and norms if exist.
Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thank you for the link, it's helpful.
But i have a problem for the minimum diameter and the difference in use of Mobile Vs Fixed pig trap.

The selection of the permanent vs mobile pigging system may be based on the operation frequency requirement, mobile equipment availability in the location, project budget, etc. The pig sizing and types may be consulted with the vendor, such as T.D. Williamson, based on the process line size to be pigging, actual piping condition, etc.

I'll respond more tomorrow but what is your problem on ID / min diameter?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

LittleInch.The ID/Min diameter depend on flow assurance issues(scales,wax,liquid accumulation,....) or are there other factors to design The pig trap?

Mobile or fixed pig trap design is something that each system needs to determine and no "norms" or standards IO am aware of will define this.

As MK3223 says, the key is frequency of operation and compatibility between different locations in terms of design pressure, ID, size, connection flanges.

The places where you tend to see mobile units are locations such as gathering systems where many lines at the same design, pressure size and ID are rarely if ever pigged and hence you can save CAPEX by reducing the number of pig traps.

I f you're operationally pigging anything more than once every year or two years, the extra operational and safety aspects normally out weigh any beneifit due to the time cost and safety issues in making and breaking containment on a regular basis.

If you want to connect to a live system then you still need isolation valves and they cost as much as the pig trap which is really just a bit of pipe and some nozzles and a fancy end closure.

I'm still not sure about your ID question, but I would always design a pig trap to the pipeline code, not PV or piping.

The ID of the throat is your issue and this should match exactly the connecting pipeline ID. If it is smaller then your pig either might get stuck on launch or not seal well in the actual pipeline. Too small an ID on receiver and you can rip the pig apart as it hits a square edge at the flanged connection or also get stuck.

Is that what you need to know?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back