Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pile Buck (SPW 911) Soldier Pile Example 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcc202

Structural
Jan 15, 2009
US
How do I model soldier piles using SPW 911?
We have an article on this subject; Please contact us for a downloadable PDF.

This is what Pile Buck's website says, however it is my understanding they are out of business. Does anyone have this pdf?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Actually you could use the Cali Trench and shoring manual method where you apply an effective width adjustment factor.

Basically your soil below the excavation is a certain percentage based of your soil density above the excavation (bottom grade).

Example:
Similar to Brom's method they suggest increasing the effective width of the pile due to passive arching capability of the soil call this factor weff=0.08*phi , MAX=3.0. So if you have a 14" wide pile and phi=28 then your design width would be 0.08*28*14/12=2.61' for you passive resistance. Then say your pile spacing is 8'-0" oc, you would divide you design width by 8'. Call this f which is the factor you apply to your soil below the excavation.
f=weff/S = 2.61'/8'=0.326
or
f=min(0.08*phi,3)*width/spacing

Create top soil layer with normal soil density say g=120pcf
Create lower soil layer below excavation with soil density g=f*120pcf.

This is for simple cases.

or you could create a spreadsheat based off the California Trenching and shoring manual as I did. They give similar results for coulomb and FS=1.5.

EIT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back