Pile Cap Design, Thick Shell elements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozai

Structural
Jan 11, 2022
US
Dear Eng Tips,

I am working with a bridge abutment foundation model on CsiBridge in which the pilecap is modeled as a thick shell element with a 6"x6" mesh.

CsiBridge/SAP2000 is able to output shell element forces and area of reinf requirements and this is the function I am using. My goal is to verify that the top reinforcing (based on AASHTO temperature and shrinkage requirements) is adequate for any negative moment above the piles and this is where I'd like some assistance.

I am looking at the shell forces/stresses which can be reached thru Display -> Show shell forces/stress plots.

Selected Options:
Component type: Concrete design
Output type: top face
Component: ASt2 for area intensity in 2-dir (bridge transverse dir)

I'd like help confirming design procedure and my understanding with shell element outputs:
1) Ast2 is area of reinf in 2-dir and output is per unit width so (in^2/in) or (ft^2/ft).
2) For looking at actual reinf required, the area of reinf output at CL pile node jumps dramatically and I do not believe I should be providing reinf based on this. I am wondering if there is some accepted method of approach when dealing with shell elements (such as taking the average over 3x3 elements and providing reinf area based on this.

Thank you for the the help in advance-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back