Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pile Design in Slope Stability

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geo11

Geotechnical
Jan 26, 2011
Hi
I m trying to stabilize slope using Pile. IN slope stability software, FOS can be increased by increase the value of Shear Force in Pile. I m wondering how we achived this shear force- from lateral resistance of soil of opposite soil if we ignore soil resistance how to achieve shear force in Pile ?
Eg. if 10 kip Shear force is necessary, we can achieve from embedment or there is limitation of this value per pile depend upon soil resistance above failure plane or size (other than structural capacity) ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am assuming you are using LE software like Slope/w or Slide etc.

I think I am right in saying there is a wider problem with this approach, which by the way I see quite often.

The problem is as soon as you put the pile in place you change the shape of the failure surface behind the pile. Ignoring this for a minute, I dont think you can get the pressure distrubution on the back of the pile from the LE software so you start straight away getting into the realm of overestimating the pressure on the pile.

Its a problem I have pondered about myself. Its all too easy to slap a pile in the software and get a FoS which suits. Good on you for thinking about it though, lets hope there are some bright sparks out there who can think this through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back