Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pile of UI issues with ST4

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwalters

Mechanical
Sep 23, 2009
US
I've searched and found others with similar issues. I'm coming from V20, and ST2. I don't use synchronous.

This is my first time playing with ST4 and I've mostly managed to get the UI back to an actual usable setup but there are a few sticking issues.

1. Font text in sketches is messed up. The size was huge, but I found how to shrink it under the dimension button. The other problem is that the text always faces the plane its located on so at angled views it impossible to read.

2. The edit definition box is floating on the part. Now instead of always moving my mouse to the upper left corner to go through the edit ribbon, I have to find wherever it happens to be. Is there a way to dock it permanently?

3. In an assembly whenever a part is clicked on it has two issues. The same is as the above, the edit definition box pops up on the model. Also, an orientation circle appears on the part, which appears to be a synchronous item. My problem for both of these is that they get in the way of the small parts I'm working on and in the latter example, screw up my constrained assembly.

4. I'm having trouble finding the 'show relationship colors' button for my sketches. All of my sketches are showing as blue even though I know they're constrained.

I'm going to keep searching for solutions but if anyone can help me out, it would be fantastic.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ok I solved one problem. You can disable the display of the move/orientation wheel under the select ribbon in the home tab.

Thanks for the solve on #3. I was also going to look for this problem, because the steering wheel only gets in the way, as it is useless for my application.

As for #4: I found this under the inspect tab > Evaluate Menu > Center column > last option.

Any other solutions would be helpful. I am coming to ST4 from ST2 as well.

I've also noticed that when you enter a value into a dimension handle to edit that dimension, that the box disappears. Between this and the text not facing the viewer it's as though they're trying to purposely hinder non-synchronous use.

Maybe I can help with the #1 and #2
1. Font text in sketches is messed up. The size was huge, but I found how to shrink it under the dimension button. The other problem is that the text always faces the plane its located on so at angled views it impossible to read.

To control the size of the Text on sketch You need to change from Model Size PMI to Pixel Size PMI You can find it under the PMI tab on the Dimension group. (it's a bullet option).

PMIsize.png

For the angle view part I'm not sure if you're talking about a PMI dimension if that's the case You need to define the plane where the PMI will be place.

PMI_lock_plane.png

2. The edit definition box is floating on the part. Now instead of always moving my mouse to the upper left corner to go through the edit ribbon, I have to find wherever it happens to be. Is there a way to dock it permanently?

When You select the part or a feature a window pop up showing the edit definition, edit profile and dynamic edit
if what You want is to dock the edit definition or edit profile window after You click on the command Yu have to change the Command user interface from Use horizontal toolbar to Use vertical docking window, in order to do that just go to Solid Edge Options / Helpers / Command User interface

commandUI.png

Best Regards
Diego

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back