Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pile Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

UP830

Civil/Environmental
May 18, 2018
AE
I am looking to expand my knowledge on pile load testing and trying to follow an example that I have found in many bi directional load cell reports.

I am trying to create the equivalent top down load test curve. I can create the rigid pile curve as this is just reading displacement at say 1mm and reading the top and bottom plate loads corresponding to 1mm and adding them together.

Figure D
Capture_s9yetm.jpg

The issue is trying to modify the curve to allow for elastic compression.

The attached example includes a table showing Load on upper plate, load on bottome plate, P (which is sum of the two), then elastic pile settlement [sub]TLT[/sub], this is what i cant seem to work out. I can calculate pile settlement[sub]OLT[/sub]

pile settlement[sup]OLT[/sup] is the C1 correction middle formulae on pg 5 of 7 PDF.

I thought pile settlement[sub]OLT[/sub], would be the middle formulae on page 6 of 7, for Centroid Factor C1 but the results done match. Even using C1 = 1/3 or C1=1/2 formulae the elastic pile settlement from top load test doesnt match. The answers I am getting are shown below.

Capture_qulsky.jpg

Hopefully someone can help!

Thanks.

J

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Please specify where you are from, and what guide you are referencing. This will provide context. Also, you are referencing a document that is not attached, and variables that are not defined.

Why doesn't your load test pile plot show the rebound portion of the curve? Without this, you are lacking a complete picture of pile behavior.

You need an estimate of the neutral plane in order to estimate pile elastic strain. If you know for sure you have an end bearing pile, then you can simply use L = pile length. Otherwise, L will be something less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back