Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Piling strength

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony A

Coastal
Feb 7, 2021
US
I have a situation with a class B 40' piling treated to 2.25 that has a 12" butt and 7" top that is driven in the ground 22' and cemented. The top of the piling is out about 5 1/2" out of alignment and I would like to pull on it to align with the structure. I have sister pilings that I can rig up a come along and chain to act as an anchor. My idea is to anchor at the ground to the sister piling that is 15' horizontally away and rig up the chain and come along to the top of the piling to be pulled.

How hard can I pull on piling without cracking it?

Is there a formula out there that can help determine the amount of stress the piling can take before cracking?

Thanks,

Tony

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You should probably ask the design engineer.

I'd bet they won't be too happy with what you're proposing.

Formulae aside, that sounds like a terrible idea to me. Put a new pile in nearby and abandon the excessively skewed one - unless it can be justified as is.

5 1/2" out of alignment for a driven pile doesn't seem excessive. I agree with Agent666, this should be discussed with the design engineer. It seems likely to me that the misalignment was anticipated in the design (or should have been), and a mitigation strategy can be devised, if it hasn't been already.

Rod Smith, P.E., The artist formerly known as HotRod10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back