Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Piling through geotex liner

Status
Not open for further replies.

vesselguy

Petroleum
Feb 25, 2002
CA
Hi,
I'm a mechanical engineer wanting to get some insight into what to when a geotext liner in a bermed area get pierced by a pile. I’m asking this question in hope to get some basic knowledge so when I ask our Contractor to recommend a solution, I will have some fore knowledge to know if they are leading me down the garden path or not.

The oil well site is bermed and has a layer of geotext fabric to line the berm as containment in case of spill. We are adding new skidded equipment to the well pad and we need piles in order to support the equipment. The pile, obviously, will pierce the fabric. Is this a concern or does one have to dig down to the fabric and seal the penetration? If so, how’s that done? I’m not looking for details but just a quick explanation is sufficient. Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

vesselguy,

you could look into placing a shallow foundation above the geosynthetic layer so as to maintain the integrity of the liner. You may have issues with tearing of the liner under the foundation loads if you aren't careful engineering this option.

Or you could dig down and install sleeves w/boots through the liner for the piles to pass through. Make sure you get the pile locations right, though.

Just my initial thoughts, and I don't have much idea as to the costs.

Jeff

Normally they will pile through it, but the original deign than the liner was installed for is compromised. You need to find out what the liner is doing in the construction, who made it and ask their technical department. As for piling through it, any piling contractor out there will say they can, they just destroy it at that location. If the piles are CFA etc.., you can end up disturbing the ground around the pile installation, driven piles tend to go straight through but this does depend on the type of geotextile/geogrid.

You should cut out a hole in the area of the liner that you intend to drill through.

After the pile is installed, you can have a liner professional install a sleeve up and around the pile. The sleeve should be sealed wiht a thermoplastiv or chemcical weld to the existing liner where the liners meet at the bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back