Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pinch Valves vs. Diaphragm Valves

Status
Not open for further replies.

lowdere

Electrical
Feb 23, 2006
US

Looking at using pinch or diaphragm valve for a control valve application on dirty water containing abrasive material. I have found products using both technologies, but I am *told* pinch valves do not have good controlability. Can anyone offer advice for this application?

Thanks,
Eric

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I guess that would also depend on the definition of "good controlability".

We have used pinch valves by Sur-Flo:

for our service (oil with particulates) and it seems to work.

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Sut-Flo and Red valve seem to be the names in pinch valves.

"Good Controllability" is a relative term. If the valve gives you the results you need, then the controllability is good. You will have, I assume, a low-pressure application with limited velocity. That makes it easier to apply a pinch valve. If the fluid is whistling along at 15 M/sec at 50 bars, your valve choice would be different.

Good control is provided by the valve control surfaces going where they are supposed to be in response to a control signal. Pinch valves have huge unbalanced areas, and the flexible tube can flutter just like the neck of a whoopie cushion. But if you apply the valve at 2-3 meters/sec, it is both much less likely to flutter and much less likely to be consumed by erosion than if the velocity is higher. Spend some extra bucks and go a size larger on the actuator, and use a precision positioner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back