Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Pinned end display size

haynewp

Structural
Dec 13, 2000
US
I posted last week asking if there is a way to increase the size of the pinned end symbols in the graphics display but that post got deleted for whatever reason.

For anyone else interested, I asked RISA and there is not currently a way to do this. However, this has been put in as an improvement request. I personally have difficulty seeing the pin symbols on screen when multiple members come together, which could obviously lead to a big problem.

The graphical symbols used in RISA are not great. End-offsets seems to mostly be clear and distinct, but as you note, the releases are impossible to see when multiple come into a node, as well as it being impossible to tell what releases are released from the graphics alone, so you need to check the specific releases every time anyways. Also, the boundary condition symbols are only useful if you use fully released, fully fixed, or you have just 1 or 2 directions set. As soon as you add specific moment supports or combined springs, releases, etc into one node, it becomes mostly impossible to parse at a glance.

Being able to adjust the size, offset, location, etc of any graphical symbols would be a nice addition. I would note that you have some control over how these look when you print graphics, but that's not at all useful when you're in the heart of creating a new model.

Back