Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pinned releases in LUSAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

lvkb

Civil/Environmental
Oct 13, 2004
GB
I am trying to model a pinned release between two thick in LUSAS that is free to rotate in all 3 dimensions. LUSAS only allows releases of beam elements in the y and z directions so I am trying to connect my members by using a joint, but am confused about what translational stiffness to put in to make my model work. At the moment I am getting that my two beams move apart by 8000m which is not right!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The easiest way to incorporate a beam local x axis release is to assign a beam geometric property to the beam where the area is zero.

Your beam axial stiffness is E.A/L (Young's Modulus * Area divided by length) , then use joint stiffnesses of say 1000 times that value. If Lusas generates stiffness matrix ill-conditioning warnings, then reduce your values accordingly.

What I should have said is set the torsion constant in your geometric properties to zero, torsional stiffness = G.J/L where G is modulus of rigidity and J is the torsion constant (= polar moment of inertia for tubular sections).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back