Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pipe Defects- Please let me have your comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NAVEEN91

Mechanical
Apr 17, 2016
AE
5b60b9cc-dea4-4afe-95a3-25bdce896255_hdlyit.jpg
c29137c9-c8d1-4d9a-a7b3-d9cf4786c8d9_qk7jjp.jpg

Please Find the attached Pics.
Please let me know can we accept the elbows and Pipes. Its having scratches on surface and surface finish not good.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

From the pictures you provided, if you review A/SA 312 material specification the pipe sticks and elbows look acceptable. Scratches can be from shipping or handling, and that is sometimes unavoidable.

yes, scratches from handling, you may have some recourse with the shipper. Don't know what code, scenario, etc. these are used in, but gouges should be repaired if these spools used

The only reason to reject the pipe is if any of the scratches reduce the wall thickness below the acceptable 12.5%

I've seen worse...

NAVEEN91;
Did you purchase the pipe under an engineering specification document or simply request pipe per ASTM/ASME xxxx? Did you try removing several obvious scratches by polishing to determine their depth? What is the application of the piping, are scratches not tolerable on the ID or OD surfaces? You need to do more investigation to make your own decision.

Note sure that would apply, see below unless it was specifically referenced in the PO.

28. Government Procurement
If specified in the contract or purchase order, the
following requirements shall be considered in the inquiry,
contract, or order for agencies of the U.S. Government where
scale-free pipe is required

NAVEEN91 said:
Thank you Please let me know about the Pipe. the surface is not at all good but is there any reason to reject this pipe?

To be able to answer this question you have to know if the condition you are observing will affect it's intended use. If you can't use it because of these issues, it should be rejected. Whether or not the supplier can be held responsible is another question, but that should not affect the pipe's suitability for use. Some suppliers are better than others in handling claims of this sort, but as I said, that should not affect the decision to reject the material.

Since you are asking the question, I'd assume you have no idea if these blemishes will affect the intended use. We aren't going to be able to tell you; you will have to ask the people who are going to use it. Generally, the surface marks are no big deal and even the weld bevel damage would not hurt anything as long as it didn't interfere with fit-up, However, you will need to ask either the engineering group that requested the material or the folks who are going to install it to make that call, assuming you aren't comfortable in making it yourself. If your operations people are not going to help, then there is nothing you can do except read the purchase specifications and make sure it satisfies all the requirements, but you should ask those who are going to use it just to CYA.

Just to reiterate, if the blemishes you have observed are detrimental to the use of the product, it needs to be rejected. Whether or not the supplier will honor a claim should not be a part of that decision.

Cannot tell from the pictures without knowing the depth. But they don't look abnormal.Depending on service, additional cleaning.prepping may be required.

Judgement on this cannot be done through the pictures, I may suggest the following:

1) Physical appearance could conceive one's judgment.
2) Verify Material certificate (understand requirement on the ASTM or project requirement) and Dimensional Report Report from the Supplier/Manufacturer of the products.
2) If Dimensional Report is not available or for assurance, for reassurance verify current thickness (e.g. UT gauging, etc.) and check acceptance on the standard or minimum thickness.
2.1) For the case of bevel end, Verify with ASME B16.25 if any restriction for possible rebevel-this is for necessary for your material receiving report.
3) Then, prepare material receiving report (regardless of the result) and discuss with engineering, as necessary.

(Just my thought)
Ciao!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back