Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pipe flare dimensionning

Status
Not open for further replies.

engtobe

Mechanical
May 29, 2003
CA
Hi,

I need to do a 2d drawing of a pipe with a flared end. This is for fabrication....

Can anyone tell me how to properly dimension a Flare on a pipe. Is it done by a note or actual dimensions? What are the rules, standard, etc...

Maybe you can redirect me to a source on information.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

engtobe,

The pipe with a flared end would usually be a cold formed lap to be used with a backup flange, like the fabricated lap or flared lap per ASME 31.3 para 306.4.2 which states (b) the outer diameter of the lap shall be within the dimensional tolerances of the corresponding ASME b16.9 lap joint stub end. (Also see B31.3 Fig 328.5.5 for fabricated laps.)

The pages 15 and 29 of B16.9 have the lap O.D. "G" that corresponds to the raised face diameter of that size pipe flange. (Thickness of the lap is required to be at least 95% of the minimum pipe wall thickness, multiplied by the ratio of pipe O.D. divided by the diameter at which the thickness is measured.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back