Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pipe Freezing Job

Status
Not open for further replies.

leel

Chemical
Oct 28, 2004
GB
Hi,

Have anyone experienced in doing water pipe freezing job?

Pipe freezing job is mean that freezing water in the pipe till become as an ice plug to avoid water from one side to flow to the other side in the pipe so maintenance job can be proceed.

So, what I would like to know, actually how can we know that the ice plug is fully block the water flow for different pipe size. Besides, how many liquid N2 is needed in the particular job.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

leel-

Try searching the forum. The first hit for "freeze plug" is thread378-126582.

Sounds like you want to do the job yourself ("how many liquid N2 is needed..."). Please, please leave this to someone who knows what they are doing. Its not quite the same as making ice cubes at home.

jt

Thansk for prompt reply, actually, I have seen some of my colleagues did it before.

But when talking about how to rectify the ice plug is built and how much of N2 is used, they just told me, when the pipe outside is in cover with ice then maintenance job can be started. Besides, most of the time they are doing their job by "over engineering". So, what I want to do is optimizing liquid N2 used for freezing the pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back