Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pipe Gate Design - Deflection and Yield

Status
Not open for further replies.

rave426

Mechanical
Jun 2, 2009
US
This is a simple project, but I want to have some data to back up my logic. I have not done a calculation like this is years, so I want to make sure I'm correct.

I am having to use 2" Schedule 40 piping for a pipe gate and I want to make sure that there wont be too much deflection.

Using one gate arm as an example:

1. Stake Piping will be placed in the ground about 6'
2. The gate arm will be welded on stake piping at about 4'above ground level and will span about 21'
3. A support arm will be welded on stake piping at aobut 1' above ground level and we welded at about 14' on the gate arm

I know the yeild strenght of Sch 40 Steel is about 60,000 PSI, but I'm trying to ensure I'm not inducing too much stress/deflection due to the weight of the pipe.

Does anybody know a quick calculation for this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is more a structural question, not piping, so probably not the best forum. To my mind it's just a matter of determining the weight of the bits hanging off the "stake piping" and calculating the bending moment. Checking maximum bending stress then will confirm whether you need larger stake piping. I may have the wrong picture in mind though, so a sketch would be helpful.
Cheers,
John

20 ft is far to long to hand a 2" pipe. You'll need some trussing. I'd suggest 4 x 5 ft wide panels (2 figures identical to this below - side by side), with tension bracing

I hate Windowz 8!!!!

I agree..... This is not a suitable question for this forum.

This question belongs in a Structural Forum

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer
Venture Engineering & Construction

Thanks for the responses. Sorry to post in the wrong forum. Yesterday was rough and when I saw "pipe" and ran with it. I don't know what I was thinking. Haha.

Good. Explorer appears to have removed the spaces anyway.

I hate Windowz 8!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back