Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Pipe head loss - Cameron Hydraulic Data inaccurate? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabotage

Mechanical
Dec 29, 2006
US
Has anyone had any experience using Cameron Hydraulic Data for their head loss calculations? I was recently checking some head loss calculations when I discovered that the head loss I had calculated was almost double of what was previously done. Doing some backchecking we found some discrepancies between what Cameron uses for head loss and what other sources use. For example, for a 16" CHW Sch. 40 steel pipe at 6,000 GPM, Cameron has a head loss of 9.31'/100'. ASHRAE has the head loss at around 2'/100'. I checked other sources (Bell & Gossett/Carrier/etc) and they all agree with ASHRAE's estimate.

Can anyone explain such a large discrepancy, or has any experience with large differences between Cameron and other sources?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Intersting handle...sabotage....where are you located ?

Have you tried the Crane 410 method ?

This is the methodology in most common usage....as i understand

I'm located in Central Jersey.

I have tried the Crane 410 method, and it gives similar results to ASHRAE. My question is why is Cameron giving head loss estimates that are seemingly so out of line with the rest of the industry?

Man, that would be one rough pipe to give 9.31'/100' headloss. I just use a friction factor correlation in my spreadsheets, and roughness would need to be more than 1/2" to give that sort of headloss.

You're reading the table wrong. The flow rates for the 14" pipe on the left are not the same as for the 16" on the right. The friction values for 13000 gpm for the 16" pipe line up with those for 6000 gpm in a 14" pipe.

There's a double line down the middle of the page dividing the two categories.

You're all right, I was just reading the table wrong. I knew Cameron wouldn't be that far off. Thank you for all the help, that's one mistake that I won't ever make again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back