Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pipe material compatibility with chemical mixture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bernoulli31

Mechanical
Jan 13, 2016
BE
Question from a non-chemical engineer..

I know how to use compatibility charts to select a pipe material for one chemical, but how does one go about when you have a recipe consisting of several chems?
For example, I have a mixture of:
45% Ethyl Lactate
40% IPA
30% Acetone
25% Ethanol
etc.

Do I try and find a common pipe material with a good compatibility rating by looking at each chem individually?

Or is it sufficient to use the SDS of the mixture?

Thanks for your help!

I design aqueducts in a parallel universe.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Look at compatibility charts for each part of the mixture. You are looking for which component is the most aggressive or has the most limitations as well as is it seriously impacted by concentration. When you have a chemical that has very few compatible material or compatibility is very sensitive to concentration is when you need to reach out to experts for some additional advise.
There are examples where combinations are more aggressive than the individual components, but those are not as common.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy

Your first problem is that you have a mixture which adds up to more than 100%, so you don't really know what your mixture is.

Nothing on that list is a problem for stainless steels at ordinary temperatures and pressures. If there's nothing else present and it is free of water as well, you may even get away with carbon steels unless purity is a problem. But again, the TRACE components and the ultimate use (i.e. purity requirements) of the material in question may determine the materials selection more than corrosion resistance.

moltenmetal said:
Your first problem is that you have a mixture which adds up to more than 100%, so you don't really know what your mixture is.

Of course. Fail on my part for not being more precise!

The concentration of each is within a range, e.g.
5-45% ethyl lactate
20-40% IPA
15-30% acetone
and so on..

We don't know the exact concentrations most likely because it's proprietary.

So I figured I'd look up each chem at the highest concentration listed in the charts, and go from there. No issues with purity requirements as it's actually a waste. Also it can be expected to be diluted when it comes out of the process equipment.

For this same analysis, is anyone familiar with these chemicals?
Tetramethylammonium hydroxide
Diethylhydroxylamine

Nasty stuff, but not listed on any of the compatibility charts I've consulted.

I design aqueducts in a parallel universe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back