Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pipe price 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

clay pipe, polyethylene, steel, copper, pvc, cement, CMP, fiberglass, stainless?

Let your acquaintances be many, but your advisors one in a thousand’ ... Book of Ecclesiasticus

marBz,
The reason you are not getting any substantive answers is that there are few things more local than pipe prices. If I buy pipe for central Colorado (in the U.S.), I'll pay 10% less than southern Colorado because in the center it gets there by train and in the south it is trucked. If I buy it in Singapore I'll pay more (sometimes) than if I buy it in Hong Kong, but you have to watch closely because that occasionally flips. If I buy pipe in Houston and ship it to Columbia I have to mortgage my first born.

The link that dogtop provided shows that steel prices are still going up, and plastic pipe often lags steel prices in the same direction.

I got some quotes on plastic pipe 2 weeks ago. Yesterday I had to change from 48,000 ft to 53,000 ft because of a scope change--the new per foot price was 4% higher in 2 weeks. Every quote I get has a disclaimer that it is only good for 30 days, part of that is to encourage people to actually spend money and part is the volatility of the pipe prices.

If you want to know what PVC pipe costs, you really do need to call a local pipe supplier.

David

Worse - Today's oil prices greatly change what is needed for new pvc (plastic!) pipe for raw materials, but may not reflect prices for the "old" raw material used in a pipe on the shelf.

But gas/diesel/marine fuel prices per gallon are spiralling daily - So a shipping price will change rapidly for any pipe you get, regardless of when it was made. But steel fuel prices (for fab and raw steel processing) are also changing rapidly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back