Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pipe replacement Private Driveway crossing a Perennial Stream 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

EITZM

Civil/Environmental
Nov 21, 2016
US
The answer to this could either be complicated or very simple, here is the situation.
A deteriorating Corrugated Metal Pipe needs to be replaced under a private driveway in a perennial stream, here are some questions that I hope the experts could help me with
1) Will a USACE Pre construction notification be required for the replacement of this pipe and if so, which PCN applies? the pipe will be replaced in the exact location, slope, exact length, inverts,etc..
2) According to my understanding, USACE requires the pipe be replaced with RCP since the stream is perennial, does the local jurisdiction have any say in this matter or not? and what justification could be used to waive this requirement since the cost of switching to RCP will be too high
3) Also according to my findings, the pipe must be 20% embedded to allow for AOP, also can the local jurisdiction grant any variances for this requirement?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

404 is always complicated
for something this small, you would fall under a nationwide permit - probably NWP3. Each Corps region issues its own conditions for the NWP's. You would need to follow the general requirements for that permit in your region. The regional permit guidance will indicate if a PCN is required, but unlikely.

So for instance, if you are in Idaho, than the following would apply:
Georgia:
good luck

Is the private driveway residential or commercial?

Regarding the RCP requirement, what region are you in? How big is the pipe? We replace stream culverts all the time, and usually use SICPP unless the stream flow requires more than a 48" pipe. I can't recall the last time we used RCP.

Without knowing why they require RCP, it's hard to speculate on how to justify a different material. If the reason is something like the diameter is too big for SICPP and the soil is corrosive to CMP, you may be out of luck.

We are the local jurisdiction, and we still have to embed pipes.

My glass has a v/c ratio of 0.5

Maybe the tyranny of Murphy is the penalty for hubris. -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back