Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pipe Size 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JXWu

Petroleum
Oct 26, 2015
TH
I am looking for a clear definition of "Heavy Wall".
Can I say that if the wall thickness is greater than schedule STD for that size, will be considered heavy-wall.
Is there a formula which takes diameter and wall thickness into account to determined if a pipe is considered heavy wall.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Most Engineers, with whom I am familiar, would not consider a size over Std wall as heavy wall.

I'd carefully follow official nomenclature, lest I get getting something un-intended.
Some of the ANSI/ASME B36.10 Welded and Seamless Wrought Steel descriptions are offically "extra heavy" and even "double extra heavy" for specific schedules (thickness) of pipe, but skip right over "Heavy." Assuming that "Heavy" would result in Schedule 60 pipe would not be wise. Unless my design was extremely weight conscious I would include consideration up front of price and availabilty of schedules heavier than my actual requirmeent.

Light Wall
Schedule 10 (Sch/10, S/10)
Schedule 20 (Sch/20, S/20)
Schedule 30 (Sch/30, S/30)
Schedule 40 (Sch/40, S/40)
Standard Weight (ST, Std, STD)
Schedule 60 (Sch/60, S/60)
Extra Strong (Extra Heavy, EH, XH, XS)
Schedule 80 (Sch/80, S/80)
Schedule 100 (Sch/100, S/100)
Schedule 120 (Sch/120, S/120)
Schedule 140 (Sch/140, S/140)
Schedule 160 (Sch/160, S/160)
Double Extra Strong (Double extra heavy, XXH, XXS)

Opinion:

I don't think you will find a clear definition of heavy wall.

Heavy wall is a "non-standard" industry term which is intended to include thicknesses from XH and above, as outlined by Tmoose.

As the two above: Do NOT make the assumption "Heavy Wall is Sch 80, Sch 160" or anything else; and do NOT make permit your client/customer/assembly tech, pipe fitter, purchasing agent to make that assumption either.

There are no formulas for pipe, just schedules.
In general 'heavy pipe' is used to refer to sch80 and heavier, but the term has no specific meaning.
It always depends on the materials and the applications.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back