Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pipe Stress/ Flexibility by hand 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kryanl

Mechanical
Jul 30, 2001
US
Hello all,

I've recently begun to become introduced to the wolrd of pipe stress analysis by computer program, mainly using Caesar II. I know that in order to properly understand the useage and limitations of the programs, I must have a strong grasp of these types of analysis by hand. Can anyone recommend a good book to explain step-by-step calculation procedures of entire piping systemsfrom beginning to end, as well as the theory behind it? (I've been searching for what has been described to me as the "Bible" of stress analysis, as written by Markl, but to no avail). Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can find Markl's papers republished in "Piping Engineering", available from "Tube Turns", 502-774-6011 (Louisville, KY).

One of the best texts I've come across which discusses the "stiffness solution method technique" is "Computer Methods of Structural Analysis", published by Vanderbuilt University.

Richard Ay
COADE, Inc.

Hi kryanl,

I think anybody who is going to be learing the pipe stress art SHOULD read all the Markl papers. But he did not write a "Bible" and he does not describe how to do pipe stress analysis. But DO read his papers as they are the basis of most Piping Codes. But I think you should also get a copy of the old Kellogg book called Design of Piping Systems. This later tome includes a lot about approximate hand methods. I have placed some contact data for the Tube Turns book with the Markl papaers here (look top to bottom):

If you send one of the mentors on the C2 board a Private Message you might be able to find someone who can help you with copies of some of the good old stuff.

Regards, John.

Actually, 'Piping Engineering' is now from Sypris Technologies at the phone number richay mentions above. The copyright is 1986, Tube Turns, Inc. ("Tube Turns" appears nowhere on the exterior of the hardcover book) - my copy arrived today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back