Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Pipe weld standard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flesh

Materials
Jul 17, 2003
US
Can someone provide or point me in the direction of where I would find a governing industry weld standard for welding stainless steel pipe, used in a pressurized water application? My first search led me to AWS D1.6, but this appears to be a "structural" welding standard, which is not my application.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is a very short answer. +ASME 31.3 covers your system unless it's in the battery limits of powerhouse or conveys steam and condensate the you want to look ASME 31.1.
Neither of these standards are of the cookbook type and its requires a little understanding of everything associated with welding.

Can you come back with more details concerning environment and physical conditions the line will see?

In addition to the above, if this application is not industrial and for distribution/ consumption purposes, you have the AWWA, American Water Works Association standards, as well.

Thank you both. The piping is used in a fire apparatus (mobile), located inside enclosures, protected from the elements. Water temperature is at ambient.

ASME B31.3 will work [well] on fire apparatus. Don't be surprised if your fabricator doesn't have a Proper WPS or any qualified welders. My understanding is that apparatus welds are usually made by anybody, without a procedure.

Usually, the Jurisdiction requirements need to be addressed. Often Sprinkler systems are built to NFPA-13 in the various States and municipalities in the USA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back