Pipeline material selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

7mayda

Petroleum
Feb 2, 2016
TN
Dear,

Can someone helps me to find/tell me where is the right procedure for pipeline material selection in the ASME B31.3 Process Piping.
Application : Compressed 40 bar air / 2 " conduit.

Regards.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is no material selection process detailed in the code. Select from one of the pre-approved materials listed in the code to make things easier.

It might seem picky, but B 31.3 is for PIPING, not PIPELINES.

There is a big difference in the codes between the two....

Compressed air is as benign a fluid as you can get. Use A105.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

ISO 21457 gives you choices as follows:

Instrument Air: Carbon steel; carbon steel + hot dip galvanising; 316(L) stainless steel

Plant Air: Carbon steel; 316(L) stainless steel

Considerations in making a choice could be such things as likelihood of water condensation, consumer requirements for cleanliness

Steve Jones
Corrosion Management Consultant

All answers are personal opinions only and are in no way connected with any employer.

I'm with Steve Jones here, I typically see Plant Air:CS and Instrument Air:Galvanised CS in Oil & Gas with water content etc addressed in Material Selection Report and subsequently piping configuration. I have also worked on projects where IA has been specified SS for cleanliness purposes.

In coastal locations where small bore piping may be going through piperacks that may be inacessible to future painting / maintenance or where it is simply too much bother, a large oil and gas Opco's practice is to use 2205 duplex for these process and utility fluids. Basically, fit and forget.

7mayda,

Where is you installation site is located? If you can't give exact location, tell us nearest town location.
Is it indoor or outdoor? Above or below ground?
What is for this 40 barg = 580 psig compressed air is used? Is there any air conditioning unit installed after an air compressor?

Thanks,
Curtis

Hi...
Code does not suggest Material selection. It provides the restrictions for a specific material.

You have to use your own judgement according to the location, design and operating conditions, vendor experiences, client experiences and specifications, fluid list and the list goes on and on.
Please rule out your suggestions for material selection one by one before arriving at conclusion.
Also keep in mind the cost and corrosion factor.

The posts related to this query by other respected and experienced members are beneficial and helpful. Please use their experiences

Thanks
PME

Hard Work with Smartness is the key to success

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back