Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pipeline protection from dropped objects

Status
Not open for further replies.

nmhung

Structural
Jul 14, 2008
AU
Hi all

Could you tell me do I need protection for above ground pipeline from dropped objects? Please note that this pipeline connects a rifinery to product tankage within a rifinary plant complex.
If necessary, what means should I use or build to protect this pipeline?
Thank you so much.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You need to assess risk there is of an object being dropped on your pipeline. If there is a real risk then use a structural shield.

It will be dependant on your particular scenario. I have piping protection against careless drivers, they are called bollards.

<<A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend
will be sitting beside you saying ” Damn that was fun!” - Unknown>>

Thank you for all your contributions.
The mentioned pipeline runs along an internal road within the refinery zone. So, do you think a steel fence seprating the pipeline and the road is enough for dropped object protection?

While you have gotten some good responses you might consider posting this inquiry it appears related to a plant/refinery setting also on something other than the "Offshore..." forum (e,g, see the recent thread "Pipeline Sabotage" at and I suspect many other realted threads you could find also with the "Advanced Search" feature e.g. on the Piping & fluid mechanics engineering Forum).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back