Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PIPELINE PROTECTION FROM LIGHTNING

Status
Not open for further replies.

zaza123

Electrical
Dec 3, 2008
SA
I Need to protect pipeline ( oxygen & nitrogen) from lightning, one way is for grounding the pipeline & the other way is to put lightning rod & arrestors.
Has somebody worked for this subject. i need ideas for succesfully protecting the pipeline from lightning. These pipelines are outdor & distributed over 40-50 kilometer.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I work for a natural gas pipeline company now.

Are your pipes underground? Be aware that lightning protection considerations may run contrary to the needs of cathodic protection for underground pipes.

My concerns are not necessarily for the pipeline itself, but rather the instrumentation involved. Shielding and suppression has been sufficient there.

old field guy

My concern is for the pipeline, The pipeline in question is basically overground at some places it goes underground. For underground there is cathodic protection. but i want to protect the above ground pipeline from lightning.
I am planning to build the grounding system for the protection.Has anybody heard of lightning aresstors used for protection of pipeline.If yes which type of arrestors are there.

Is this Kirk Cell used in protection of Pipelines. I want to know what people elsewhere are doing to protect the Pipelines from Lightning strike.I am curious as we had a lightning strike one of our pipelines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back