Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pipeline Repair Methods 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

qaztor

Civil/Environmental
Nov 11, 2002
US
I'm looking at a project that seeks to minimize I/I flow in an existing sanitary sewer system(8" to 15"). CCTV inspection of the entire system found all kind of failures:
Protruding Taps
Root intrusion at joints and lateral connections
Broken Pipe
Infiltration at joint and lateral connections
Holes in pipe
Off-set joints etc.
Some sections will be lined others will be replaced.

Questions -
where you have isolated protruding taps what is the recommended repair method? any new technologies available (remote cutters???) ?
Where you have 2 or more protruding taps in a 10-15ft section what's ussually done??
What is the best repair method when you have infiltration at joints or lateral connections?

thanks for the input

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are a few companies like this one around-insituform does some of this also.

I've used these (Thuro) fellows mostly for Closed circuit camera work, they slip lined a 4 inch house service for me.
The gadget pictured on the right in the above link is a water pressure driven hydraulic motor,with different rotary cutting blade attachments. It attaches on the end of the 500 foot long 1 inch diameter hose reel of the combination flusher/vacuum truck. Put it in the sewer at the manhole and it knocks out mineral deposits . We knocked out some protruding services in a vitrified clay tile 10 inch main with it also, but proper blade size type selection is important to avoid cracking the main. We also put a camera in while cutting out the protruding services to reduce the risk of cracking the main. It is risky -a less experienced crew can really crack up the main . You can attach flail chains to the hydraulic motor-sizing is even more important with chains.

There are diamond tipped cutters available , similiar looking to oil well drilling bits to cut out mineral deposits or protruding services.I don't think most companies will guarantee they won't crack the main while coring out the protruding services-it's a good idea to watch it with a camera.
I'll try to remember the name of another company that remotely installs short thin internal stainless steel sleeves for cracks and ii-they pull the sleeve in with a camera , and then remotely expand it. Link pipe in Ontario makes internal sleeves for water and sewer, but there is another exclusive internal sewer sleeve installer whose name escapes me at the moment.

As you may know , the choices to stop inflow/exfiltration in sewer pipe are:
1) Dig it up and replace it
2) Slip line it by pulling a HDPE pipe through inside.
3) Line the inside with an epoxy/resin sleeve-e.g insituform
4) Cement mortar the inside ( camera and remote mortar machine)
5) spot repairs with remotely installed sleeves ( e.g. link pipe, )

Waterworker.

Thanks for the comments and LINKS. Very useful.

Just where is this project? I may know the contractors that work your area.Look in my profile for contact info.

Hi,

I rep for a company that makes drinking water safe composite wraps for oil/gas external pipeline repair. It seems most water pipe repairs are done internally, and there would probably not be much need for a low cost, drinking water safe, easily installed external wrap to apply to corroded or leaking water pipe. I'm not from the water industry, is this right? Why? Thanks!

abexman:

you will have to explain what you mean by easily installed on leaking water pipes. Our problems are on underground mains...This limits just what can be done...

BobPE

You are correct abexman. There is no market in the water business for your product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back