Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pipework

Status
Not open for further replies.

eski1

Mechanical
Jun 15, 2004
GB

Hi
I'll start off by saying i don't think there is an easy answer to this but thought i would throw it out to the community just in case anyone has a solution i hadn't considered yet.

We have a large Pipework Assembly that we have modelled ( see attached file) Each Colour of pipe is itself an assembly made up of lots of other sub-assemblies as we intend to manufacture them .
The issue is only now do we know how each Phase needs to be installed and it doesn't follow the way the assembly has been modelled i.e there might be so much green pipe with so much blue pipe etc.
So we need to show this model in 10 install phases to be able to :-
A) Produce a BOM for that Phase
B) To produce an install Animation for that Phase.

The only option i can think of is creating a new assembly , dissolving all the sub-assemblies into it and then creating configurations for each Phase.
does anyone know a better way to do this , before i start down this long road.....

thanks in advance

Chris

Currently using Solidworks 2019 Premium

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=e4f20c74-e4d1-4c20-98e9-799968f5b54e&file=Capture.JPG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you have ten phases, create ten configurations of the assembly. Then also create ten configurations of each subassembly, one for each phase of the assembly. To create a phase/configuration you simply suppress the components that are not included in that phase/configuration. Configuration 1 of the main assembly would refer to configuration 1 of each of the subassemblies. Configuration 2 of the main assembly would refer to configuration 2 of each of the subassemblies. And so on. Use the Component Properties window on each component subassembly to reference subassembly configurations. Once you understand it, it really is a simple procedure. Will that work for you? If you haven't done it before, try creating two or three configruations on a simpler assembly with subassemblies to get the hang of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back