Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Piping Calculation Software Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmarriott

Chemical
Mar 27, 2002
NO
I have some very old computer programs which have been satisfactory for calculating ASME B31.3 and B31.1 pipe wall thickness and branch reinforcement data for many years. Our new issue of computers at work no longer handle these ancient programs very well.
We are in desperate need of new programs to perform these tasks. I would like to know if there is any commercially available software that we could assess and possibly purchase that performs the piping calculations we need.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Actually those calculations are pretty easily handled by a spreadsheet. I wrote spreadsheets to do those calcs in a couple hours. I know that does not answer your question, but it is one alternative.

Thanks!
Pete
pjchandl@prou.com

Hello pmarriott,

Pete is right on - spreadsheets are the way to go. And, if you want a really good set of ExCel spreadsheets to do EXACTLY what you describe (and much, much more), you need to get in touch with Ben Nottingham. Ben's Piping Office Suite of ExCel spreadsheets have saved me many hours of hand calculations (not to mention errors) in doing B31 calcs. Piping Office does the following:

Basic Package A
Pipe Allowable Pressure per ASME B31.1
Pipe Branch Reinforcement per ASME B31.1
Pipe Allowable Pressure per ASME B31.3
Pipe Branch Reinforcement per ASME B31.3
Pipe Allowable Pressure per ASME B31.3, Chapter IX, High Pressure
Pipe Dimension Properties and Materials Properties
3-D Offset, Triangle Calcs, ft-inch-fraction & metric dimensions
Package B
Mitered Elbow Design per ASME B31.3
Mitered Elbow Design per ASME B31.1
Pipe Support Span, Shoe Bearing, and Lined and Jacketed Pipe Weight Calcs.
Package C
Steam Safety Valve Discharge Reaction Forces and Moments per ASME B31.1
Flexibility and Stress Intensification Factors per ASME B31.1
1Flexibility and Stress Intensification Factors per ASME B31.3
Jacketed Pipe Theoretical Column Buckling Design
Pipe Theoretical External Collapse Pressure (not per ASME)

Ben A. Nottingham
509 Kilkenny Rd.
Kingsport, TN 37664-4465 USA
Email: bnottingham@chartertn.net
Phone: 423-323-5307, USA

Regards, John.

sSuggest you develop your own suite of equations in Mathcad then you will know what you have done. If not try Algor's PV Designer and Pipepak. this are the most cost effective of the FEA pipe design programs around.

First, try here: Although I have an excellent oppinion on Mr. Brundrett's work, I suggest u develop your own collection of spreadsheets based on the "naked" codes (B31.3 etc) and u'll have a double satisfaction that way.
I did that myself but here in Romania I don't have many people to ask their oppinion about my calculations. So if someone else could help me with an oppinion about a spreadsheet please download the file
thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back