Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Piping External Load

Status
Not open for further replies.

promero

Mechanical
Aug 2, 2002
US
I am working on a design where we are routing compressed air in type k copper tubing and Liquid Petroleum gas in sch. 40 black steel.

The pipe is located in an area of a building exposed to external blasts. I am looking for the maximum allowable stress that would be allowed for the above pipe material due to external forces? Where can I find this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Promero-

I'd suggest you take a look through some of the recent papers published at the ASME Pressure Vessels and Piping (PVP) coferences. This year's conference is coming up in a couple weeks and will be in Cincinnati.
The conference always has some... interesting... sessions which I attend to break the tedium of ordinary PVP issues. Just flipping through last year's program, for example, there were a few sessions entitled "Structures Under Extreme Loading Conditions." Some of the presentations I've heard are titled something like "Cylindrical vessels under external pressure subjected to asymmetric blast." Translation: "Submarine hull subjected to torpedo." You can probably do a publication search at asme.org.

jt

promero:
A pipe stress program would be the best solution to finding out what the blast effects would be on the piping.

B31.3 gives the loads allowed stresses for weight, thermal stress due to bending and external forces, such as, blow off of pressure safety valves and wind loads.

A pipe stress program such as Caesar II would calculate the combined stress from each of these sources including the stresses due to internal pressure.

A 50 run version of this program can be purchased for about $800, with full documentation from Coade.

Hi promero (Mechanical)

LC Peng, president of PENG ENGINEERING, is a leading authority in the field of pipe stress analysis and piping engineering.

LC Peng has authored, co-authored and presented many technical papers on these subjects. Electronic versions of his most popular papers are available below.

Please note, documents are in Adobe PDF format and require Adobe Acrobat Reader to view.

Local Stresses in Vessels - Notes on the Application of WRC-107 and WRC-297

is it really necessary to run a stress analysis on a coppper tubing in which fittings are normally completed using swagelok and supported using a unistrut? I was made to understand that small bore tubing are inherently flexible thats the reason they're mostly bended sometmes even made into a coil in the like of capillaries. They dont even have a detailed drawing. What normally is included in the constn documents are simple schematics without detailed dimesioning with a note "field run to suit".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back