Piping inspection program optimization

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformator

Materials
Jul 23, 2019
RO
Hi everyone
I need advices regarding a topic that I am about to present, looking forward to have good advices from your sides. Thank you in advance.

Topic is about piping inspection programs by governmental standards. By those standards, each industry, in my case refinery, must perform inspection of piping (by special program called verification of integrity of piping). Inspection reports must be sent to state organ that will issue authorization for 8- 10 years with obligatory checks every 2 years. Those periodical inspection reports also must be sent to state organ to keep authorization. The workflow is like this:

1. Contractor will create inspection program for piping ( 1-5 piping in one program) and send it to state organ for approval
2. After approval of state organ, contractor performs inspection by program and obtained results will be sent to state organ for authorization ( generally they give authorization for 8-10 years )
3. After we get authorization, state organ oblige to perform periodic checks each 2 year ( Ultrasonic wall thickness )
Those programs are not bad and it is made for safety of people working here. However, organ that gives authorization states that each welding ( before welding and after ), each elbow, each support ( before, after ), each valve ( before, after ) must be examined with UT, PT, Magnetic particle, liquid penetrant. For only UT, it is obligatory to make at least 4 point checks on whole circumference of piping ( depends on diameter ). To make those checks, scaffolding shall be build and insulation must be dismantled and it is time and money consuming.
For periodic checks Ultrasonic Wall Thickness is enough, but again at all places/points that I described above.
Now imagine that refineries have thousands of piping at different high and different places. All those inspection reports must be provided on time in order to keep authorization. All those inspections are made while refinery is working.
My task is to find the way to spend less money and time while having all those inspection reports. I found several ways to
1. For periodic checks, as I described above Ultrasonic Wall thickness is enough. Lately I found out that Long Range UT exists that can scan all circumference of piping until 65 meters. Is there any inspection programs that implements LRUT? If yes, could you please provide more detailed information about program. Is there any standards ?
2. Somehow reduce expenses for scaffolding. Each weld, support, elbow. Scaffolding is everywhere as if we are living in forest made of scaffolding. Is there any alternative and cheap methods to replace it? Not completely but for 40 % . Apart from man lifting device.
3. To modify insulation. Insulation at piping are typical. Do you have any suggestion on how to spend less money on dismantling insulation? Plugs are out of option. As described insulation must be dismantled over whole circumference
4. Is there any software that can optimize expenses on scaffolding and insulation?
I am kindly asking everyone to give me advices on how to optimize expenses on abovementioned issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back