Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Piping issues in iron ore processing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SIAUPA

Mechanical
Nov 14, 2003
CA
will someone be eager to share with me specific issues in piping used for iron ore processing? some lesson learnt will be useful; I need it in couple of days; thank you all

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That is a very general question. I know that rubber lined steel pipes, cemented steel pipes and even pure steel pipes are used for mine tailings transfer. It depends upon flow (GPM), particle size and contribution and upon solids concentration what pipe is used.

Not very helpful but at least a start.

thank you micalbrch; very useful even general.

MORE INFO FOR EVERYONE WHO WANTS TO HELP:
Our iron ore is similar to the brazilian iron ore, lots of fines. I wanted to know if there is somebody out there involved in iron ore project and knows about specific/particular issues when handling iron slurry. Some specific issues we shall be aware of in iron processing when comes to piping system.

Thanks

Suggest you get hold of a copy of Slurry Transport Using Centrifugal Pumps by Wilson Clift & Addie. The work was sponsored by GIW Pumps. GIW also run a very worthwhile slurry transport course. Their SLYSEl software is also useful.

AFT has introduced slurry pipeline design software for settling and non settling lsurries.
There are a number of conference papers available for your particular application. "Hydrotransport" and "BHRA" are key search criteria in Google.

If you are handling a slurry with lots of fines, some key things to possibly consider are; maintaining adequate velocity to keep the fines from settling and using pumps designed to handle fine particulates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back