Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Piping out of roundness 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Jones

Mechanical
Jan 10, 2023
IE
Does anybody have practical experience on out of roundness of piping assessments? A damaged/ dented stainless pipe is causing some issues. The design code is ASME B31.3

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Definition of dent or damage is notoriously difficult.

Dimensions of the damage or photo would help, but this is often subjective and depends how hard it is to replace or repair.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Hi Little Inch,

Photos not possible, offical photos ect. It's a lenght of stainless with a sharp impact.

I was thinking of a form of damage replication. Get a similar spool and dent it in the same manner. Then hydrotest it, PT and X ray it.

Repair or replace. Not sure what service this is in, but even if you inspect it now and find no anomalies in it, some can develop over time (again, depending on service conditions). Numerous acceptance criteria exist in the pipeline integrity world for dents (size in terms on depth diameter, sharpness, strain level, etc., ASME, CSA, BS, etc.), and fatigue based assessment methods. I would simply replace if it s sharp dent, these are generally the worst as far as strain level and they develop cracking over time. If the job called for new (undented) pipe, I don;t understand why you wouldn't replace it. If not, complete a strain analysis and fatigue analysis based on expected service.

Analyze all you want, dont change the facts. A sharp impact damage should generally be replaced by a full diameter cut out.

--Einstein gave the same test to students every year. When asked why he would do something like that, "Because the answers had changed."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back