Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Piping routing in sworks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

10mm

Mechanical
Jul 17, 2016
US
Does anyone use routing to do complex welded piping? The routing library consists of only flanges and pipe. I am curious if there are users that have built up libraries of parts and believes that routing is a good tool. Cadworx is great and has a full library, but it is not compatible with sworks since importing and exporting iges files is just a pain. I dont understand why sworks doesn't focus more attention to routing and supply a full library of standard type parts. It seems to be more of a toy than a useful tool.

There is no situation so bad that you cant make it worse. Cmdr_Hadfield

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

10mm,

SolidWorks routing allows you to extrude profiles along elaborate 3D routing sketches. If you are doing pipe routing, you need a library of parts, including elbows, unions and valves. Presumably, you want to extract a BOM from your drawing. Maybe you can make the weldment feature do this. Otherwise, you are doing an assembly.

--
JHG

Have you already downloaded the libraries that SW offers you? See image.

Download_libraries_takxvl.jpg

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
CAD Systems Manager
Evapar

"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

Since routing is an add-in ONLY in Premium, and we use Professional, we've had to make some workarounds.

Note: Professionals do not do piping routing. Only amateurs do. Thank you for clarifying that Dassault.

Today I received a XYZ point file from a tubing bending sub-contractor who is using a CNC tube bender. They also have a tubing scanner, which uses magnetic pick-ups to measure the coordinates of a tubing run of any complexity. They gave me a spreadsheet with all the points, but without Routing, I couldn't use it directly with Solidworks.

Then it occurred to me that I could input the points into AutoCAD and connect them with lines. From Excel, it was easy to export the points to a text file and create a script, which automated the input of all of the points to AutoCAD. 60 seconds later, I had my 3-dimensional line.

After down-saving the ACAD dwg to an early version (SW won't open a 2018 dwg), the lines were opened easily as 3-dimensional curves, upon which I could immediately create either a composite curve or a new 3D sketch and fillet all the corners to the center-line bend radius. 240 seconds elapsed time.

To make the Sweep out of this path, I needed a plane, normal to the origin, a sketch, and the circular cross-section. Total elapsed time, 5 minutes.
Note: the first time I did this, it took longer because I had to try various options before finding the right ones. The 4th tubing run took 5 minutes.

STF

Yes, you can import XYZ points into SW and SW will give you the curve of the data points? The feature name is "Curve through XYZ points"

The file must be *.txt, you can easily export the file from Excel to text. You will have to open the file in notepad and resave it. At least I always have to, otherwise, it fails when you import it. Open a new part, select "Curve through XYZ Points" and import your text file. Click OK and you are done and you have a generated curve. I guarantee it will take less than 5 minutes to do.

Attached is a quick text file, just rename the ext to *.txt and try it out.

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
CAD Systems Manager
Evapar

"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

Hi Scott,
Thanks for the suggestion. Yes I tried "Curve through XYZ points" on my data.
That delivers a spline. Allows no further editing, not even tangency of the ends IIRC. Very swoopy but not appropriate.
What I was importing was the routing of tubing that has been bent at specific locations.
Steel and aluminum tubing is bent in tools with a fixed (circular) radius and remains straight between these bends.
The model has to resemble straight material that is bent, and the CL of the tube must curve at a specific radius which is defined by the shop tools.
The drawing must enable direct dimensioning of the straight segments, the curve radius and bend angles accurately.
The workflow that I described above delivered the required result.

While we're on the subject, may I ask: Can points be entered into SW directly, simply by using XYZ coordinates? If I could have entered the list of reference geometry points, I wouldn't have used AutoCAD at all. I could have connected them with 3D-Sketch line segments and been on my merry way.

STF

Wait... Is the spline fit through the points I entered, or vice-versa? Maybe I could have ignored the spline and just kept the points...? I should check next week.

STF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back