Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

piping school 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

energeng

Mechanical
Jul 22, 2009
ES
Hi all,

I would like to know if there are some kind of "master" or "post graduate course" in US or Europe relating with piping (power plants and petrochemical,...). One day I heard that the company Shell had a very good piping school, but I don´t find nothing about that (I dont know if that´s true).

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

All of the piping schools that I have come across are those offered by a company to bring their new hires or reassigned personnel up to speed in rapid fashion (or at least faster than on the job training). The class at Shell is probably a lot like the ones offered from time to time at Fluor or KBR (I assume that they still do this now that they're not just MW Kellogg). They were for employees only and often with strings attached such as continued employment for some time period or pay back the class expenses or some such burden.

It's a great idea - I worry that piping design is rapidly becoming a lost art. There's become too much reliance on the computers and software to route and arrange things and less on the human aspects. A lot more thought went into piping and plant design when changing a single line size could result in hours of erasing lead from sheets and sheets of vellum. And I'm not even a piper!

Google for SPED piping (in Houston) and SAIT piping (in Calgary). These are more oriented towards the design/layout side of things.

Andrea Macejak
SPED Manager of Operations
AP Program Coordinator
832-286-3404 Office
713-718-8086 AP Hotline

UNIVERSITY OF HOUSTON, DOWNTOWN, HOUSTON TEXAS

Oh!, 1975, PURDUE UNIVERSITY, MSME PIPING ENGINEERING.

L S THILL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back