Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Piping specification M?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurt114

Mechanical
Dec 26, 2010
AU
Hi all,

I'm working with this P&ID for a closed drain system on an offshore oil platform, and saw this line CD32-1"-M (CD32 means closed drain line 32, DN is 1") but I don't know what class M stand for? I tried to look for legend but haven't been able to find one since this is very old platform. What specification normally M stands for?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In the world of line numbering, there is no "normal", only what you used last time....

M could mean literally anything - Marine? , some sort of coating?, line material type?, Pipe class

You need to find the P&ID legend sheet I'm afraid or the pipe spec might help.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Or just ask the Client what it stands for.

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it."

-Henry Ford

Maybe a valve
stress_yi1fn8.png

A line number needs at least 3 parts: service, size, and piping class.

It seems that two firs parts are clear to you. So, the last one (M) should be piping class. Piping class identifies the piping component specifications in the line, not only base material, but also type of the components and dimensional characteristic. So, you cannot go by guess or similarity. You need a document such as piping material specification to make it clear to you.

As an Engineer, it can be a challenge for finding the design doc or spec of the existing/ancient facilities.
Without actual doc, there is no way to know what's the detail of "M" spec by the line number CD32-1"-M. IMO, some options are:
1. Continue searching the old doc in the company file
2. Contact the Engineering Firm who designed this facility for the old piping spec doc, if still existed
3. Filed verify the piping components for the certain info, such as material, pressure rating, etc., to better understand the system.

As i understand from MarriolaV picture, the M refers to a male connection (in contrast to female) connection.

Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back