Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Piping Welding - How to know, Which metals can be welded together and which can not.? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlfaMike5886

Mechanical
Apr 25, 2022
IN
Hi All,
as i understand P no. has something to do with it. but is there any strict criteria where it states that some metals can be welded together and some can not be.? i still do not clearly understand the P no. and Group no. how they are used to determine welding compatibility with other metal? does metal need to have same P no and group no in order to be weldable together?

i have same question for selection of electrodes. How to decide which electrode should be selected for joining specific metals? what if the joining metals are not same?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think you need to hire a welding engineer/metallurgist to answer your questions. Many different alloys can be welded together. The P-No. is simply a grouping of alloys that are highly comparable to each other from a weldability standpointe; e.g., P-No.1 includes low carbon steels with restrictions on maximums of specific alloying elements. P-No 8 includes numerous austenitic stainless steel alloys like 304, 316, 321, 347, etc. because their weldability is highly similar.

P numbers are used to classify metals into groups. The P number is one of the variables in a Weld Procedure Specification that you cannot change without rewriting and requalifying the WPS to the new materials. Same thing for electrodes.

So a procedure written with the correct filler rod, methods, settings, etc for a general carbon steel in the P1 group can be used to weld any P1 material without having to re-qualify the procedure. If you want to weld a different material with a different P number your filler rod will be different, your weld machine settings will change, your weld method will change, so the procedure has to be re-written with that material in mind and qualified to the new version welding a new material.

ASME BPVC Section IX covers welding, welders, weld procedures, qualifying, how the variables are handled, etc.

I don't believe it ever states things in terms of "you cannot weld this material to this material" - it only prescribes that to do the welding you need to do the analysis, write a WPS, qualify that WPS as valid through testing, train your welders to that WPS and qualify their performance to the WPS through testing as well. A WPS with a PQR and a welder with a WQR to the WPS is needed before you can start melting metal on an ASME project - and adherence to that WPS is not up for debate or interpretation - if you want to weld on ASME, it needs to follow a properly qualified WPS (or a purchased pre-qualified SWPS).

The P-Nos permit qualification on one alloy within that P-No. to weld all alloys within that P-No.; for example, qualifying on 304 base metal permits writing a WPS to weld 316, 317, 321, 347 etc. without requalification within the ranges qualified of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back