Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Piston Oscillation in Fluid - Resistance Force 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

vdubinsky

Mechanical
Feb 28, 2005
US
I would like to estimate the resistance force applied to a piston that oscillates in a fluid.

Let's say we have a piston with the surface area S that oscillates in water with the frequency Fo and the displacement magnitude Ao, i.e. x = Ao*sin(2*pi*Fo*t).

How can I estimate (analytically or numerically) the maximum value of the resistance force as a function of the frequency for a fixed displacement magnitude?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

you could approximate the drag based on the frontal area of the piston, a rough Cd from a textbook, the fluid density, and the velocity(t).

ivymike,

thanks for your comment... but can you, please, be more specific?
Can you please provide a formula along w/ brief explanatory comments or a reference to a book or a paper that could help my resolve this problem?

It's not a homework, it's a calculation task that needs to be performed to evaluate a design potential.

That's not really a drag problem, that's a volume source problem. The answer can be found in any worthwhile acoustics textbook. say L. E. Kinsler, A. R. Frey, A. B. Coppens, and J. V. Sanders, Fundamentals of Acoustics, 3 ed: John Wiley & Sons, 1982, or Beranek

The usual case is a piston in a semi-infinite baffle. I have also seen a solution for a rigid body in an unrestricted volume, which is a more complicated case.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

The reason I emphasise that this is an acoustics problem is that the force required to push the piston is heavily frequency dependent. However if you want to persevere with a velocity based approach then don't forgot the drag along the sides of the piston.

Cheers

Greg Locock

However, thinking about it, in a typical body the acoustice coupling efficiency is very low so most of the input energy must end up as heat, so friction must be the main resistance.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back