Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pistons replace the valves?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is that better than cams and valves?
In the first link they try to make it sound more simple but I don't see how having a crank, rods, rod bearing, pistons, wrist pins, and rings both above and below the port is simpler than a cam, bucket, valve, guide and seal.
Not only that but it reduces the potential for modifying lift and duration.
I'm waiting to see solenoid,pneumatic or hydraulic valves with independent computer control on lift and duration.

Yoshi-etc. I am inclined to agree with you - but at least this engine probably could be made to run - unlike just about all the other "new" engine ideas on the internet.

On the subject of solenoid etc. computer controlled valves - the all-mechanical Helical Camshaft system can basically do everything a camless system can do - but it seems to have become lost in the maze of valve and engine ideas that people are continually putting forward - the vast majority of which are not even vaguely viable.

Quoted from the website;

"The First prototype of similar construction, was built in 1979."

Any it has yet to catch on???

Still, I agree that it could be made to work. The valves are simply an uside down crank after all as claimed on the site. Still, I wonder how the prototype got around the problem of the valves filling with oil? Maybe it didn't?

It seems to me like a variation of the desmodromic valves - nothing new here.
Gates instead of valves - tried that too (Knight sleeve valve engine)
For electronic-hydraulic valves try Fiat's Multi-Air engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back