Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Pivot Table - Separate columns for Actual and Forecast Value 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

Do not understand your question. This looks like you just typed some data into three columns. A PivotTable needs a data source in order to generate a result or even suggest what kind of result could be generated.

Please post a fair representation of your source data that can be copied and pasted into an Excel sheet, showing the relevant fields.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

Well I thought about this.

First off, WOW! Are you also under budget? Sounds like Trump: ahead of schedule and under budget! ;-)

I'm guessing that your source data has columns like [highlight #204A87]this[/highlight]...
et-PivotTable_b6fxmv.png

For any task you have a Forecast Date and an Actual Date for which there may be a date or not.

Since Actual & Forecast can have mutually exclusive MonthYear data, I don't know how you'd get all the MonthYear data into the Pivot Date column and therefore get the correct counts.

So I made my own pivot table using formulae in my first solution and a pivot query as a second solution.

My pivot query results...
[pre]
date Actual Forecast
2020-02 1
2020-03 1 1
2020-04 2
2020-05 2 1
2020-07 1
2021-01 1
[/pre]

My sql...
Code:
transform    count(*)
select format(a.dat, 'yyyy-mm') as [date]
from 
(
SELECT `Sheet1$`.Actual as [dat], 'Actual' as [cat]
FROM `C:\Users\Owner\iCloudDrive\et-PivotTable.xlsx`.`Sheet1$` `Sheet1$`
WHERE (`Sheet1$`.Actual<>0)
union 
SELECT `Sheet1$`.Forecast, 'Forecast' 
FROM `C:\Users\Owner\iCloudDrive\et-PivotTable.xlsx`.`Sheet1$` `Sheet1$`
WHERE (`Sheet1$`.Forecast<>0)
) a
group by  format(a.dat, 'yyyy-mm')
pivot    a.cat

Skip,
[sub]

Wow, thank you @SkipVought!! Appreciate your effort Mate, awesome!

I think my questions is to broad, apologies. I have attached snapshot of what I'm trying to achieve using Pivot table or Power pivot.
Here I got the source data and the desired pivot table output. Note, I know power query, power pivot and little knowledge about DAX formula / measures.

Basically I just want separate columns for actual dates (<=reporting month) and forecast dates (>reporting month). So as the cumulative.

Hope this make sense now, if still not clear happy to elaborate further. Just want to automate this! Thank you so much!

Mac

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=52169459-b53e-4d3e-92f0-c8dabed195f4&file=Pivot_Table_query.JPG
Here's another shot at your requirements. Workbook attached.

The YELLOW cells indicate cells where the user can enter data to manipulate the pivot. I think I should have put the Reporting Month value on the pivot sheet. I would also add in the Factors sheet a list of dates to use to select Reporting Month in a Data Validation Drop Down list. I'd generate that via a query, as I also would generate a list of Release Codes via a query to make the whole thing more automated.

BTW, a suggestion when you use MS Query in Excel. In order to make the workbook portable, you need a means of changing the connection string to conform with the current workbook's Path and Name, which can be coded...
Code:
Dim sPath As String, sDB As String
sPath = ThisWorkbook.Path
sDB = ThisWorkbook.Name
...and substitute these variables in the Connection property and in the FROM statement in the SQL code like this...
Code:
sSQL = "SELECT `Sheet1$`.Actual as [dat], 'Actual' as [cat] "
sSQL = sSQL & "FROM `[b]" & sPath & "\" & sDB & "[/b]`.`Sheet1$` `Sheet1$` "
sSQL = sSQL & " WHERE (`Sheet1$`.Actual<>0)"

Skip,
[sub]

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=b9fbb60e-e00c-45dc-bdf6-835003688a76&file=tt-PseudoPivot.xlsx
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back