Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

placement of electrical outlets in buildings with medical gases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tknorr

Agricultural
Jan 25, 2013
US
Hey I'm new to the forum. A question was posed to me about medical gas nitrous oxide (anesthesia) being heavier than air and thus requiring electrical outlets to be installed higher than normal due to the flammibility potential. Anyone have any knowledge of this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Outlets in medical facilities are often at about waist level, but that may be more for convenience.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

I don't think nitrous is used anymore. There are specific codes governing electrical installations in areas where flammable gases are used medically. For some gases, the resistivity of the floor is specified. For instance the floor must have a high enough resistance value to prevent electric shock by conduction, but must still have enough resistance to prevent the buildup of static charges. I forget the exact values ranges but the code did specify the method of measuring the resistance of the floor. Fortunately much safer gases have been developed.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Hi tknorr,

Welcome to eng-tips, glad to have you here.

One caution: Posting the same question in more than one forum causes confusion, as discussions expand without coordination. Please have a read through the forum policies at Forum Policies.

I'll repeat my answer from the other post, for the benefit of those here.

Nitrous isn't flammable. It can accelerate the burning of things, though, like an atmosphere of enriched oxygen.

Documents:

Best to you,

Goober Dave

Haven't see the forum policies? Do so now: Forum Policies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back