Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Plain Bearing choice - Plastic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mprice

Mechanical
Nov 25, 2001
CH
I need to specify a very lightly loaded plain bearing for a bank note handling machine (id6mm od8mm l10mm). The radial loads are minimal and the axial load is nothing. The bearing oscillates through an angle of 1 degree at 10Hz. I was thinking of using a Glacier DU PTFE/Steel but I don't want to have any side washers due to space and I am worried about fretting corrosion on ends of the bearing against the stainless steel shaft flange on one side and an inner race of a roller bearing on the other. Does any one have any experience with Plastic bearings such as Glacier EP? I have an old catalogue for this, but can't find any Web based information for this type of bearing.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We had a customer who specified a non-oil-lubed bearing for a printer. We used a Shamban bearing (Calif.) This company has several lines of plastic bearings. These are generally proprietary compounds, some reinforced. They are injection molded products. Allow for some eccentricity, ID to mounting. They should be cheaper than the plastic/metal composites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back